A few notes about Ubuntu Karmic Koala Netbook Remix ALPHA 6
I installed the Alpha 6 build of Ubuntu Karmic Koala Netbook Remix this weekend on my Acer Aspire One netbook. Here are a few quick notes:
- No problems installing from a USB drive, I think it took about a half hour.
- 21 second boot time. That seems pretty good considering the number of services that start by default.
- Sexier user interface, and nice icons. This is the first time I have really been impressed by a boot screen since Dapper Drake.
- Pretty much everything worked on the Acer Aspire One right from the first boot.
There were just a couple glitches:
- The gdu-notification-daemon was crashing after boot. This was no big deal to fix. I removed the start up for the “Indicator Applet” to fix this.
- I may be wrong, but I could have sworn that I did not get any audio playback until I happened to install the mplayer and vlc packages. I can’t see how those two could be related to an audio problem, but after adding them the sound did work flawlessly.
- Wireless indicator light on the Acer Aspire One is not consistently working.
Overall, I am extremely impressed. This version will not even get into the beta until October and already I am not prepared to part with it.